Since 1960 the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Council) is funding the cataloguing of western medieval manuscripts in Germany. This focal area is integrated into the funding line Kulturelle Überlieferung (Cultural transmission). The cataloguing is carried out mainly in one of the so called manuscript centres: libraries with rich own manuscript collections, excellent provision of secondary literature and the necessary technical facilities. Other manuscript centres reside at the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin, the Universitätsbibliothek Johann Christian Senckenberg Frankfurt/M., the Universitätsbibliothek Leipzig, the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek München and the Württembergische Landesbibliothek Stuttgart.
The manuscript centre at the Herzog August Bibliothek is a competence and service institution for the cataloguing and research of medieval manuscript collections in Niedersachsen, Bremen, Hamburg und Schleswig-Holstein. Since the 1970ies manuscript collections from Northern Germany are catalogued according to the Richtlinien Handschriftenkatalogisierung and with funding of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG).
As a result, several descriptive catalogues have been published, for instance for manuscripts in Lüneburg, Ebstorf, Hildesheim, Hannover, Oldenburg, Goslar, Bremen and Wolfenbüttel. These catalogues (for the larger part) may also be consulted in the database Manuscripta mediaevalia.
We aim to catalogue manuscript collections according to present-day standards, to publish catalogues and offer databases in order to provide easy access to manuscript sources for researchers. Institutions may contact us when considering to digitize and catalogue their manuscirpts.
Cataloguing and maintaining of databases is funded by DFG and other foundations.
Current research projects
- Catalogue of medieval Helmstedt manuscripts
- Catalogue of illuminated manuscripts in the Herzog August Bibliothek
- Catalogue of the Bordesholm manuscripts from Kiel, University Library
- Catalogue of the medieval latin manuscripts from Göttingen, State und University Library
- Catalogue of the medieval manuscripts of the Niedersächsische Staatsarchiv Wolfenbüttel
Finalised research projects
- 2014-2016: Digitization of mediveval manuscripts from Lüneburg, Rastbücherei
- 2010-2012: Europeana Regia - A digital co-operative library of royal manuscripts in Medieval and Renaissance Europe
- 2007-2010: Catalogue of Halberstadt manuscripts
- In September 2011 there was held an international conference at Herzog August Bibliothek: Neuentwicklungen bei der Katalogisierung - Vernetzung und Wandel durch Digitalisierung. Programme and presentations of papers may be seen here.
Contact: Dr. Christian Heitzmann, Tel. 05331 - 808 129