Historisches Bücherrad in der Augusteerhalle, Foto HAB

The library of duke August was enhanced by only a few acquisitions between 1666 and 1704, when the erection of the new library building, the Rotunde, started. It was declared a finished collection in 1704 by Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz. Preserved separately since then, most of it nowadays can be visited in the exhibition rooms of the Bibliotheca Augusta. The old shelfmark system has been retained. The collection, however, is not totally identical with duke August's library. On the one hand, acquisitions were inserted up to 1704 and partly afterwards. On the other hand, the collection has suffered considerable loss by the sorting out of doublets during the following centuries. At August's death, the library contained about 135,000 works, of which today only 97,000 prints from the 16th to 17th century have been preserved in 30,000 volumes. The library is divided in 20 sections (diversiones), which are described in detail in the German version of this site. Within the sections, August located his books by size, an order which has been retained till today. Typical for this collection is the big amount of miscellaneous volumes, containing books of the same format.

Word cloud on the classification of the Augustean catalogue

Sections of the Augustean catalogue, weighted
according to the number of titles preserved.


The books from the Augustean collection can be called up in the online catalogue by section at (temporary URL).