Catalogue of Halberstadt manuscripts
12th century manuscript, with a note showing it belonged to the
cathedral of St. Stephan in Halberstadt (Histor. Stadtarchiv, M 33)
The German Research Foundation (DFG) is funding a three-year project which will produce a new catalogue of the medieval and early modern manuscripts of the Domschatz and the Historisches Stadtarchiv in Halberstadt. Our aim is to provide a modern catalogue of all the manuscripts which will replace the catalogue by Gustav Schmidt (1878/81). The detailed cataloguing follows the standards set by the DFG.
The manuscripts are mainly in Latin, many of them with liturgical content. They are from the monasteries and nunneries in Halberstadt and the surrounding area.
The descriptions will be published not only in a printed catalogue but also on the internet using the results of the MASTER-project and based on the TEI standard.
The identification and description of the late medieval bindings is carried out in close co-operation with another project funded by the DFG, the Database of Gothic binding stamps.