The first historical and critical edition of the collected works of Moses Mendelssohn was begun in 1929 but work on the project was brought to an abrupt close in 1938 after completion of 7 of the 16 volumes that had been planned. The project recommenced in 1971 and editions since then have been published by the Frommann-Holzboog publishing company in Stuttgart. Under the editorship of Alexander Altmann (from 1971 to 1987) and Eva J. Engel (from 1987 to 2013), the number of published volumes has grown to 33. The team is now preparing the final volumes as well as the three volumes of registers for printing. Since August 2004 the project has been coordinated by the TU Braunschweig in collaboration with the Herzog August Bibliothek.
Funding: Alfred Freiherr von Oppenheim-Stiftung, G.O.D. Gesellschaft für Organisation und Datenverarbeitung (Braunschweig)
Project participants: Prof. Eva J. Engel (project lead), Markus Gröchtemeier (team member), Uwe Lammers (team member), Margit Schad (team member)